Sunday, May 15, 2011

You have PUG friends?? Anna are you talking to dogs now??

So in my intro post, I mentioned my PUG friends. I swear I don't just sit around talking cameras to dogs :) I'm not that crazy... yet. Well maybe I do talk to my dogs but I swear I'm not nuts!

My PUG friends are an absolutely FABULOUS group of people who have really changed my life in more than just the photography category.

PUG groups are Pictage User Groups. Once a month all levels of photographers in central Florida meet up and talk all things photography. Basically a great way to network and meet other photographers in your area. Pictage sponsors the meetings, but you do not have to be a member of Pictage to attend which is great for photographers of all levels. I plan on joining as soon as I build my portfolio and finally get my business off the ground.

Sometimes the meetings are based around a photo shoot, like Mark Harmon's lighting workshop or Misty's engagement shoot or Tabitha's trash the dress workshop, I always find the hands on shooting the most fun, but we've had a bunch of really awesome speakers come and talk to us. Damon Tucci, Jim Davis-Hicks and Nikole Lim have all stopped by to talk to us as well as some of our very own PUG members who wanted to pass on tips and tricks that work for them, some excel in branding, others in work flow or how to build your business. It's great to hear from other people in the business in an open setting, it takes a lot of the pressure off for a newbie like me.

The meetings are something I really look forward to, and I wish they were once a week instead of only once a month! I haven't missed one yet, and I love seeing everyone so much that I even went to one the day I got out of the hospital from my appendectomy (Of course Jeremy drove me to that one and watched me like a hawk) A couple of them even stopped by to see me in the hospital which really made me happy, its nice to have met such awesome friends in such a short time here in Orlando.

Before going the Central Florida PUG I was VERY intimidated by professional photographers, but everyone is so open and happy to help each other out. These people get it, nobody was born a professional and every artist was an amateur at some point. They come together to talk about the common denominator, being an artist and a business owner. Not everyone in our group is a wedding photographer either, while our group seems to be made up majorly of wedding photographers, there are commercial, photojournalists, lifestyle and family, kids and children and boudoir photographers just to mention a few. And these people are amazing, I know some people who volunteer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep which helps family that are loosing a newborn, some help out with local charities, like the women's shelter and the Heart Gallery of Orlando as well as Thirst Relief and there were a ton of PUG members that helped out with Help Portrait.
I just want to give a HUGE shout out to my "PUG Family" y'all are great and I don't know what I would do without you guys, you've inspired, awed and amazed me. Thanks for every bit of fire you've put back into me. I can honestly say, without you guys I know I wouldn't be on this journey right now and I am so thankful for y'all! MUAH!

And to anyone who is reading this outside of Central Florida, check into things and see if you guys have a PUG in your area, I hope yours is full of as many awesome people as this one!